Fluoride treatment is beneficial to patients of all ages, as it can strengthen the teeth and make them more resilient to tooth decay. You can receive fluoride treatment in Langhorne, Pennsylvania, when you visit Alpha Dental Excellence for an appointment with one of our dentists. We invite you to bring your family to see Dr. Patel.
How Does Fluoride Treatment Work?
Systemic fluoride strengthens the teeth that have erupted as well as those that are developing under the gums. We gain systemic fluoride from most foods and our community water supplies. It is also available as a supplement in drop or gel form and can be prescribed by your dentist or physician. Generally, fluoride drops are recommended for infants, and tablets are best suited for children up through the teen years. It is very important to monitor the amounts of fluoride a child ingests. If too much fluoride is consumed while the teeth are developing, a condition called fluorosis (white spots on the teeth) may result.
Although most people receive fluoride from food and water, sometimes it is not enough to help prevent decay.
Reasons for Fluoride Treatment
- Deep pits and fissures on the chewing surfaces of teeth.
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces.
- Fair to poor oral hygiene habits.
- Frequent sugar and carbohydrate intake.
- Inadequate exposure to fluorides.
- Inadequate saliva flow due to medical conditions, medical treatments or medications.
- Recent history of dental decay.
- Fluoride Tx is recommended for all individuals (Adults & Children) to have and should not be restricted only to children.
- Remember, fluoride alone will not prevent tooth decay! It is important to brush at least twice a day, floss regularly, eat balanced meals, reduce sugary snacks, and visit your dentist on a regular basis.